The Troy School District Code of Student Conduct states that “Harassment for any reason which includes, but is not limited to, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, handicap, or disability of students, by other students is prohibited. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, unwelcome comments or gestures (written or verbal), bullying, or other behavior which creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment.”
During the first week of each school year, this information is presented by the school administration to all students during grade level meetings. When a student is being harassed, or is the victim of bullying, the following steps should be taken by the student:
- First, clearly tell the offender to stop the behavior.
- If it continues, talk to a parent, counselor, teacher or administrator about it as soon as possible.
- The adult (if not an administrator) needs to report the harassment that is taking place to the building administrator
- The administrator will deal with the offender in the following manner:
- A verbal reprimand from an administrator specifically identifies the behavior, which must be stopped immediately. The student is advised of future disciplinary action if this or similar behavior continues. This is the one opportunity a student is given to change his/her behavior on his/ her own. Parents may be contacted at this point
- If the harassment continues, disciplinary intervention begins with a parent contact and a detention or suspension, depending on the circumstances.
- Further instances require the maximum suspension periods outlined on page 21 of the Code of Student Conduct.
Many students are hesitant to report harassment or bullying. This usually allows the problem to escalate. Thankfully, once a problem is identified, it usually stops after the reprimand or disciplinary action is instituted.
Please review these steps with your children and encourage them not to tolerate or participate in behaviors that are intimidating, hostile, or offensive to others.